Daily Journal Entries are displayed by date.
- Journal entries should always be set-up using the heading – Date, Day, M-F (day of the week)
- Entries should be separated by page, spaces, or lines – writer’s choice
- Make-up entries when you are absent!!!
- Keep it neat - you will be quizzed on journal content (including heading info!!!!)
- Students receive approximately 5 minutes, depending on the task.
- Questions DO NOT need to be re-written (unless specified by the teacher)
1. List 3 character traits that describe Welles Crowther.
2. Would you have acted the same way as Welles.
3. Explain the significance of the red bandana.
Diligent (adjective) – hardworking
DO NOT COPY this:
Amy is a diligent student who always turns in her homework on time.
Which of the following describe a diligent worker? (copy correct answers only)
- Comes to work early
- Doesn’t care if the job is done on time
- Takes lots of long vacations
- Works late to get the job done
Describe the study habits of a diligent student. (respond only in your journal)
September 14, 2016
Journal = Rewrite the following sentences making corrections to spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
1. francis scott key wrote the star spangled banner on september 14 1814 he become inspired while watching the british bombardment of fort mchenry in the chesapeake bay
2. the American philatelic society was formed on this date in 1886 philatelists is people who collect stamps
September 16, 2016
In a minimum of 3 sentences explain what is happening on the class summer reading blog. What have you learned? What would you change? Would you like to blog again? Explain why or why not?
September 20, 2016
Please copy this into your journal:
Protagonist – the main character
Antagonist – the person/thing/force working against the main character
Who was the protagonist in “Seventh Grade”? Who/what was the antagonist?
Let’s Review!!!! In Where the Red Fern Grows
- Identify the Protagonist and Antagonist (s)
- Describe the setting
- List 3 character traits that describe the main character.
- List 3 physical traits that describe the main character.
Grab a Mood Sheet (1-7) from the front table – Read and complete the back.
In your Journal ….
What type of mood does Gary Soto create for his readers in the short story Seventh Grade. Grab a book from the front or look at your notes to help you!
September 23, 2016
Please take out the “Luckiest Time of All” with the questions sheet.
Word of the day: ingenious: (adjective) clever or skillful.
The ingenious children made a skateboard using old roller skates and a piece of wood.
Which words mean about the same thing as ingenious?
Share some examples of ingenious ideas that you or someone else had.
September 26, 2016
1. In the questions on the poem "Oranges", what does the term speaker mean?
2. Explain 1st person point of view:
3. Explain 3rd person point of view:
4. Write a line of poetry from the girl’s point of view.
September 28, 2016
Please take out the Conflict worksheet & Study Guide!!!
Vicinity: neighborhood (noun)
There are three playgrounds in the vicinity of my home.
Which of these things might be in the vicinity of where you live?
- The Rocky Mountains
- Disney world
- A post office
- A park
- A school
Write about some unusual things in the vicinity of your home.
September 29, 2016
Review your blue book for tomorrow. Have you taken notes? Noted interesting points? Made predictions? Written questions? Commented on the elements of fiction?
October 7, 2016
- The highlight of my week was …
- My lowlight of my week was
October 17, 2016
Word of the day: anonymous (adjective) from someone whose name is not known.
Example: The ancient poem is by an anonymous author
Examples(anonymous things you know of):
Other Ways to Say it (synonyms):
Why do you think newspapers don't print articles written by anonymous authors?
October 21, 2016
Journal = Fix these sentences!
1) herbert clark hoover are thirty one president died on october 20 1964 his living could be characterised by calling him a humanitarian
2) harold harris was the first to use a parachute after his plain became disabled it happened on october 20 1922
October 25, 2016
Journal = Fix these sentences!
the george washington bridge between new york and new jersey was opened on october 25 1931
pablo picasso one of the worlds greatest painters was born in spain on october 25 1881
October 26, 2016
Journal = copy the words with explanation
Counterargument - Address the opposing view and acknowledge their stance.
Rebuttal - Provide evidence to support that the opposing view is wrong or invalid.
October 31, 2016
1. today is national magic day harry houdini the great escape artist died on october 31 1926
2. work on the massive sculpture on mount rushmore was completed on this day in 1941
November 1, 2016
A Christmas Carol – What do you know about this classic story?? Make a list!
Term 2 Journal
November 14, 2016
Write a sentence using the word extract (verb). Write a sentence using the word ponderous (adjective).
November 16, 2016
What is your favorite part in the novel so far? What do you find to be the most confusing? Please write your answer in complete sentences.
November 18, 2016
Read the last 2 paragrahs on Pg. 26 and the 1st paragraph on Pg. 27.
How does this passage make you feel?
Make a list of the words that Charles Dickens uses that make you feel the way that you do.
November 21, 2016
From Pg. 33
Copy this quote: "He has the power to render us happy or unhappy; to make our service light or burdensome; a pleasure or a toil."
What do you think this means?
November 28, 2016
Create a 3 column T-chart. Compare and Contrast your Holiday Traditions tothose of the Cratchit Family.
December 8, 2016
Journal = Who is Scrooge looking for in Stave IV? Explain the reasons that he is not surprised to see himself?
January 3, 2016
Welcome Back Everyone :) I hope you enjoyed a nice break!!!
1st Journal of the New Year: 5 minutes
= New You/Fresh Start!
What are your goals? What will you try? What will you continue to do?
January 4, 2017
Copy in your journal :)
Word of the day: fiasco
Meaning: a complete failure
Example: The pool party was a fiasco due to the lightning storm.
_______________________________________________________________________JJanuary 6, 2017
Open Response Prompt: Scrooge is determined to make amends for his past live his life differently. What actions does he take to prove this?
If you were instructing a new student, how would you tell them to respond to the prompt. Not the answers, but the process to follow. What would your writing outline look like. When you create the list, the last thing you write should be CONCLUSION.
January 9, 2017
Satire: Writing that uses laughter and wit to criticize or ridicule human weaknesses. In some cases, the humor of satire is bitter and harsh, while in others it is warm and affectionate.
Why would the teenage affluenza video be considered a satirical piece?
January 13, 2017
Thankful for Monday off ? – Do you know why we celebrate MLK day?
Brain Pop Video
Questions 1-10 - Answer in your journal!