Making Connections deepens our understanding and helps us bring meaning to the text. Connections help us understand:
- How a character feels
- The Setting
- The problem in the text
- Why a character does something
- New information
- A characters thinking
3 Types of Connections
Text-to-Self - A connections between the book and your life experiences.
- "I felt the wat the main character does in this story when..."
- "What happened to the main character is similar to what happened to me when..."
Text-to-Text - A connection between the book and another book/text you have read.
- "The (main character/problem/solution/lesson/setting) in this story reminds me of the text ______________ because..."
- "The way the story is written reminds me of the text..."
Text-to-World - A connection between the book and events in the real world.
- "This book make me think about...because..."
- "I know about this because..."